LOW BLOOD PRESSURE
Low blood pressure is the other abnormality of blood pressure. The normal range of blood pressure is 120 to 140 mm of mercury for Systolic and 70 to 90 mm of mercury for Diastolic. But in some persons, the systolic may drop below 100 and diastolic below 70. In fact many persons are found with blood pressure 90/60 or even lower. Low blood pressure is a sign of debility. Usual symptoms accompanying this condition are increase in the pulse rate, cold sweats and a feeling of giddiness. This abnormality can be the result of loss of blood due to injury or other haemorrhage, anaemia, food poisoning or other physical disorders. In case any of these diseases is the cause of hypotension, these diseases must be tackled first. Ayurveda, however, regards low blood pressure also the result of imbalance of ‘vata’ in the body. The following regimen is recommended for preventing or correcting this condition.
- Avoid overstrain or overwork of physical or mental kind.
- Do not indulge in too much of exercise.
- Excessive indulgence in sex is also to be avoided.
- In general, vata vitiating foods should not be taken.
- As usual, vata and pitta vitiating emotions like anger, worry, frustration etc. should be kept at bay.
It would also be worthwhile to mention some simple home based remedies for dealing with low blood pressure condition. These are given below:
- Take about 20 pieces of dried grapes (raisins) and put them in 100 ml of water. Keep them soaked for about 10 hours. After this eat these soaked grapes after thoroughly chewing them. This should be done every day for 45 days. At the end of 45 days, blood pressure would have risen to the normal level.
- Intake of brandy or alcoholic beverage in quantities from 20 to 50 ml, diluted with warm water, takes care of acute weakness caused by low blood pressure.
- In situation of fainting caused by low blood pressure juice of green gooseberry (Amla) mixed with equal quantity of honey restores consciousness and provides strength to the circulatory system.
Leave a Reply